An Alchemist gathers natural Reagents growing in the world, and mixes them with a water solvent at an Alchemy Table to create Potions. To do this, the Alchemist must find pools of water with special qualities that will yield the proper results when mixed. The grade of the solvent will determine the potency of the product.
All Reagents have four traits that must be discovered by usage. Combining the same trait from two or three reagents in a potion will produce that effect, the potion's magical quality. Many reagents have both positive and negative traits and a specific negative trait will "cancel out" the positive form of that trait. A skilled Alchemist learns to experiment to find the combinations of reagents that will offer the best results.
If creating powerful potions sounds like your cup of tea, then this is the craft for you. Alchemy isn't all that different from previous Elder Scrolls games. It essentially follows the same protocol: find ingredients, combine them at the appropriate station, discover recipe (traits of the ingredients), and use that recipe (combine those ingredients) over and over. Potions increase in potentcy as this skill line is leveled up, and they also have minimum character level requirements determined by the different types of water ( Solvents) used to craft the potion. Some potions will have negative properties which are supposedly reduced or eliminated by passive alchemy skills, but it is not clear that this has been implemented yet.
Alchemy is a crafting profession with many variables. With Medicinal Use and Snakeblood (passive Alchemy skills) the created potions change and vary all depending on how many skill points are learned in those skills.
- Use the highest level solvent your character's level allows as this will greatly increase the experience gained, even if your character can't use the crafted potions.
- Make sure to always use reagents that will make a potion or poison, unknown traits that fail to match will yield minimal experience gains.
- Discovering new traits results in slightly more experience gain.
- To gain inspiration experience and special materials, craft the daily writs.
- To make Master Writs, mix 3 ingredients from the reagents list below, ensuring 2 of each buff/debuff desired is there.
This list is update to the latest name changes of the regions. To make Master Writ potions, simply mix 3 ingredients that match 2 of each of the desired attributes.