Battlegrounds in the Elder Scrolls Online are ESO’s first small-scale team-based PVP. They are originally introduced into the game with the Morrowind DLC, but are now available to all players. Battlegrounds provide competitive, fast-paced PVP matches for three 4-player teams in smaller, arena-like environments.
Each battleground features a three-sided team setup with four players in each team, but you are only able to queue up individually (no pre made groups of 2-4 players). At launch, there were three battleground maps — a Foyada, a Dwemer ruin and a Daedric ruin — and three game types: Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch, and Domination — but more were added in later updates. Battlegrounds feature leaderboards and have their own unique item set rewards.
Unlike in Cyrodiil, Battlegrounds are not Alliance-based. Instead, players can fight for the Fire Drakes (Orange), Pit Daemons (Green), or Storm Lords (Purple). Your team is assigned randomly on entering each Battleground.
How to Enter a Battleground
As of Update 18 for Summerset Chapter, Battlegrounds are part of the base game and no DLC or chapter is needed to access the battlegrounds.You can access Battlegrounds from the Activity Finder and run a random battleground to obtain a special reward and increased XP.
You may also travel to Vvardenfell and the city of Vivec, and find an area with the battlegound master, to the right of the Pyramid where Vivec resides, on ground level.
Talk to the battlegrounds master to begin.
Battleground Game Types & Arenas
There are five unique Battleground game types:
- Team Deathmatch: Team Deathmatch is perfect for those who don't want to worry too much about mundane things like “objectives" or “teamwork." Find and destroy enemy player characters with each kill granting your team points.
- Capture the Flag: Capture the Flag mode is a more structured attack-and-defend styled game type that will be most enjoyed by those who thrive as part of a team. Capture your enemies' flags and return them to your base while carefully defending your own.
- Domination: Domination will be favored by those who like capture-and-hold gameplay. Seek out, capture, and hold special locations on the map to earn your team points. A captured point will grant your team points for as long you have it.
- Chaosball: Added with Horns of the Reach DLC
- Crazy Kings: Added with Clockwork City DLC
In each game type, you'll win by either reaching the point limit or by having the highest total by the end of the match.
There are four unique arenas you'll fight in at launch:
- Ald Carac: A dilapidated ruin of an ancient Dwemer city
- Ularra: An old overgrown Daedric worshipping site
- Foyada Quarry: A quarry set in the shadow of Red Mountain
- Arcane University: Added with Horns of the Reach DLC
You earn points as you capture, defend, and kill, depending on the game mode. In addition to this, you can earn medals for unique actions depending on the game type:
- Dealing damage
- Making killing blows
- Earning kill streaks
- Capturing or defending flags
- Taking damage
- Healing flag carriers or defenders
At the end the matches your points and medals contribute to end-game rewards, including Alliance Points, Experience Points, and items. There will also be new Achievements to earn based on how you play. Weekly leaderboards will let you earn further rewards.
Just encountered game breaking abuse in battlegrounds, the entire orange team was using horses in domination. Havnt seen a way to use them in battlegrounds but the whole team was mounting, capping the flag, then mounting again and running off.
this wiki page need to say all the set the battleground might give
hay new to the game was feeling mmorpg homeless again so i went back to wow with i do love but has it own problems and i wanted more freedom it was then eso or bdo i know but only two i had not tried . any way just wondering if they fixed the friends thing in bg yet or... thanks
Who in his entire mind removed the team battleground queuing?
Every MMORPG has this feature. You are supposed to do things, including BGs with friends.
It is an MMORPG.
Please allow players to join the battlegrounds in teams and just fire the lead who took this decision - this if you care for your income.
No group queue for battlegrounds is such a miss/failure. I can understand temporarily disabling it because of issues but 6 months later and no resolution? How many people quit playing or unsubscribed because of this? I would have to think a lot. The product manager responsible should be fired.
This article is outdated, you can no longer que for battlegrounds in a group. Making a team pvp mode solo only is about the stupidest thing any game creator ever did.
It keeps saying I'm not in the right location, do I need to own any dlcs?
Hey guys battlegrounds looks amazing but it would be cool if you guys made at least one map and game mode for the base game (tamriel unlimited) because it would give people more of a reason to buy morrowind and get all the maps and the best gamemode.... deathmatch! I love the game and will continue to try and find people in cyrodiil to destroy but sure would like a small scale scale 'battlegroundesc' gamemode.
Cheers! Steam user: DizzyB95