Battlegrounds in the Elder Scrolls Online are ESO’s first small-scale team-based PVP. They are introduced into the game with the Morrowind DLC. Battlegrounds provide competitive, fast-paced PVP matches for three 4-player teams in smaller, arena-like environments.
Battlegrounds are short matches of 3 teams of 4 players (4v4v4). Teams are not bound by Alliance and instead are all in with their team. You join a battleground similar to the way you queue for a dungeon from the the Group & Activity Finder. You must be level 10 at the minimum and can queue solo or in a party and can specify a level range of 10-49 or 10-50 with the game type randomized. When the fight starts you're leveled the way you are when entering Cyrodiil. Matches last at most 15 minutes and provide quicker alternatives to the longer current setup of PvP.
How to Enter a Battleground
To begin Battlegrounds, you must own the Morrowind expansion. Travel to Vvardenfell and the city of Vivec, and find an area with the battlegound master, to the right of the Pyramid where Vivec resides, on ground level.
Talk to the battlegrounds master to being
Battleground Game Types & Arenas
There are five unique Battleground game types:
- Team Deathmatch: Team Deathmatch is perfect for those who don't want to worry too much about mundane things like “objectives" or “teamwork." Find and destroy enemy player characters with each kill granting your team points.
- Capture the Flag: Capture the Flag mode is a more structured attack-and-defend styled game type that will be most enjoyed by those who thrive as part of a team. Capture your enemies' flags and return them to your base while carefully defending your own.
- Domination: Domination will be favored by those who like capture-and-hold gameplay. Seek out, capture, and hold special locations on the map to earn your team points. A captured point will grant your team points for as long you have it.
- Chaosball: Added with Horns of the Reach DLC
- Crazy Kings: Added with Clockwork City DLC
In each game type, you'll win by either reaching the point limit or by having the highest total by the end of the match.
There are four unique arenas you'll fight in at launch:
- Ald Carac: A dilapidated ruin of an ancient Dwemer city
- Ularra: An old overgrown Daedric worshipping site
- Foyada Quarry: A quarry set in the shadow of Red Mountain
- Arcane University: Added with Horns of the Reach DLC
You earn points as you capture, defend, and kill, depending on the game mode. In addition to this, you can earn medals for unique actions depending on the game type:
- Dealing damage
- Making killing blows
- Earning kill streaks
- Capturing or defending flags
- Taking damage
- Healing flag carriers or defenders
At the end the matches your points and medals contribute to end-game rewards, including Alliance Points, Experience Points, and items. There will also be new Achievements to earn based on how you play. Weekly leaderboards will let you earn further rewards.